The page for Tuesday, January 8th says:
Sailed on S. S. Finance at 1:15 Expense afc of baggage $3. Fees, porting, etc. .75 Capt Sukeforth - Susie, Maria, Harry, Ed, Willie, Jno Geraghty, Robert A. Jew, Wm. Heavy, Emma Wademan, Mr & Mrs Birdsall, Jim Gormley, Harry Rickirich, F.J. Brady, Jno Riley, John Dolan, A. A. Daly, Jno Donney, Jno Fagin, Ed E Clark, Frak, Drew Daly, Mrs. Anna Robinson, Alva Robinson, Mrs. Chas Somers, Mrs Hopkins, Miss Mary Cross, WTC Hilliand (?), F.J. Grulfoyle, John Ryan of Hoboken, Ben Hill, H. Hilmers. Weather perfect. Met Mr. Borst, resident Engr, Railway Wm. Neavey introduced me to his friend, Mr. Geo. Allen, Chief Engr of Finance. Went to bed at 8 p.m. Cold night 2 blankets. Mailed letter to B. Kearns $8- for dues A. O. U. W. enclosing picture to 202 Palisade Ave Jersey City, N.J. (as always, you can click on the image to get a larger view)
Questions and comments:
- I need to start an index for all these names.
- I found a 1898 NYT article about Captain Sukeforth of the Finance
- I found a reference to the Finance leaving New York for Colon on May 27, 1902, and another reference for a departure on July 23, 1901
- The S.S. Finance was ran into by the White Star steamer Georgic and sunk off New York harbor in 1908.
- [Aug 05] Changed name to “Harry Rickerich”