The page for Saturday, January 12th says:
The day opens gloriously. Boy o.k. 2nd night dreaming of my father. By 9 oclock we sight another steamer It proves to be a sister ship Advance Salute and dip house colors. By Noon sight Bird Rock Lighthouse, at 1 p.m. we see out 1st Cocoanut trees, Water very green. beaches form a horseshoe curve around Crooked Islands the meanest of the Bahama's where we pass. We are 5 hrs behind time at this point. 4 pm Castle Island - temp op water 80° m Crooked Passage. Capt took me on the bridge to sight Castle Island at 3 p.m. Long 74° 23' Lat 23° 3' Run 267 miles. See scuppy again. Acklin Island Bishop again asks for Junior (adoption) Night grand. All hands at dinner. Dreaming again of home. Potter turned 12 Clendenny into an office - kept my boy as hostange until I appeared. Street had a row of palm trees to Bergen Ave. Called on Mrs brady for information Boy looked sad - thought I had left him behind. (as always, you can click on the image to get a larger view)
Questions and comments:
- Here’s an article that mentions the “SS Advance” dated June 17, 1900
- TUESDAY—At 9:30 a. m. (supplementary 10:30 a. m.) for Central America (except Costa Rica) and South Pacific Ports, per s.s. Advance, via Colon (mail for Guatemala must be directed “per s.s. Advance”);
- Bird Rock Lighthouse is on Crooked Island (one of the Bahamas)
- Castle Island is part of Bermuda.
- Acklins Island is part of Bermuda.
- I don’t know what he meant by “scuppy”
- I don’t know who he meant by “Potter” – it might possibly be “Father”, but his capital “F”s are fairly distinctive.
- 12 Clendenny Avenue is where Nathaniel lived before getting on the boat